COVID-19 PROGRAM UPDATE
As many of you know, in late March we made the tough decision to postpone all upcoming Veterans Transition Programs (VTP) due to COVID-19.
Over the past three months, our entire team has been working hard to develop new services, so that we can continue to support veterans safely during this pandemic. We’ve adapted our 20 years of experience supporting Canada’s veterans into a new format, and today we’re excited to announce the launch of our new:
Transition Skills Course
• 5 days, in-person, retreat-based workshop
• COVID-19 Safety Plan
• Learn skills to assist in transition and the challenges of COVID-19:
o Communicating with family,
o Emotional regulation,
o Trauma education + symptom management,
o Goal setting
o Online follow-up
The world is unpredictable at the moment, and a second wave of the pandemic is possible, but regardless of what happens we want to continue supporting veterans. That’s why we’re also developing an additional 2 new services that can be delivered under any and all possible restrictions due to COVID-19.
Tiered Peer-Support Program – LAUNCHING JULY 2020
• Sponsored and co-developed with the Centre of Excellence on PTSD
• Veteran-to-veteran peer-support
• Service provided via phone, or secure video-chat
• Training and coaching for peer-supporters led by VTN Clinicians
• Referrals to counsellors as required
Transition Skills Course (Online) – In Development
• Transition Skills Course content adapted to online delivery
• 2 x 4 half-day blocks (5 hours/day) – total of 40 hours
• Delivered via secure video-conferencing
The last 3 months have been challenging and unpredictable as we adapt to the new reality of COVID-19. We truly appreciate all the kind words, donations and support you have provided while we re-orient the VTN and start to plan for the future.
We’re confident that the VTN is now ready to get back to helping Canada’s veterans and we’re looking forward to re-engaging you and supporting them together.
As always, all our programs are available for men and women, in English and French, and will be delivered free of charge to members and veterans of the Canadian Forces and RCMP. If you, or someone you know, are interested in one of our new programs, please let us know!
Dr Paul Whitehead – Clinical Director
Oliver Thorne – Executive Director